Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 17 17:20:06 UTC 2003

On October 17, 2003 09:11 am, Mike A. Harris , <"Mike A. Harris"
<mharris at redhat.com>> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Elton Woo wrote:
> >XFree86-Mesa-libGL had to be removed using the --nodeps flag.
> >Before installing the nVidia drivers with Fedora Core Test 3, the
> >GL screensavers ran with no problems, but I had to install the
> >dirvers to counteract the jittery mouse pointer in TuxRacer.
> >Then, to re-enable the GL screen-savers, I had to remove XFree GL
>
> I made the package so that it could be uninstalled and replaced
> by an alternative libGL.  Since the OS ships with libGL linked
> software, what exactly do you propose as a solution?

 <*SHRUG*> ... I have no idea... I just thought that you should
know. I agree that it's something of a PITA to remove that
lib just so that the GL screensavers can run again...

> Unless someone can genius up an acceptable and reasonable
> solution which doesn't have high implementation or package
> maintenance costs, then the existing solution will more or less
> remain.
>
> Nvidia doesn't seem to even care, as they just blow away random
> rpm installed files on a whim anyway.  Perhaps I should have rpm
> postinstall scripts mark the files immutable or something.
... if you think this would do it ...

I'm starting to wonder if my next video card upgrade should be
an ATI or Matrox instead. Both are made in Canada, and Matrox
is in  Montreal West.

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.