hardware or software problem? (fct3)

Don Russell dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Sat Oct 18 07:11:57 UTC 2003

I installed a second hard disk for Fedora, and though I got through the first part of the install, "something's  terribly wrong"... :-(

As the system was shutting down I got a screenful of messages saying rpmdb error (I forget the exact text)

When it boots up for "first boot", it doesn't go into the graphical boot.... and after all the "starting...[OK]" messages a message:

INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

The second hard disk is "slave" with the cdrom is "master. The other hard disk is master on the primary channel

The machine bios recognizes the new hard disk....

Have I done anything obviously stupid/silly? Should both hard disks be on the same channel and leave the cd by itself?

Also, one error during install... I tried to create a boot diskette, but it got an error when trying to write to the disk.... I tried two different diskettes, then proceeded without a boot diskette.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Don Russell