Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Oct 18 08:17:55 UTC 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:

>> Unless someone can genius up an acceptable and reasonable
>> solution which doesn't have high implementation or package
>> maintenance costs, then the existing solution will more or less
>> remain.
>>
>> Nvidia doesn't seem to even care, as they just blow away random
>> rpm installed files on a whim anyway.  Perhaps I should have rpm
>> postinstall scripts mark the files immutable or something.
>
>But then again, NVIDIA's FAQ states that their install is designed to run
>on all distros, and that distributions are free to repackage their files
>in, f.e., and RPM.  (which some distros do).  If someone made an NVIDIA
>driver RPM for fedora, at least there would be a few less problems with
>blowing files away...  (Of course.. I say this, using my radeon card with
>the X supplied drivers just fine...).

As long as Nvidia makes packaging which blows away files, then
users will use those files and have a screwed up OS.  Of course,
users are free to package up whatever they like if they choose,
including Nvidia's drivers, but that doesn't stop the problem at
all.  I would wager big money that the majority of users will
always go directly to Nvidia, and so the problem will continue to
exist.