Xfree GL still does not coexist with the nVidia drivers

nosp nosp at xades.com
Sat Oct 18 12:55:43 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 00:53, ByteEnable wrote:
> Is there an official channel at RedHat to contact Nvidia through?  I'm
> just wondering if they are doing these install's because they dont know
> better and need education or they have found other issue's that force
> them to install the way they do.

I think the nvidia guys have been over this ground before and have
chosen a practical but inelegant solution since:
1) they want one installer that works on all distros regardless of
distro-packaging method (RPM, deb, other)
2) they have to disable all other libGL implementations or else the
linker /may/ find those before the nvidia ones (as Mike says)

It's hard to find a more practical way to do it than the way that they
have (from what I understand this is just to look in all the usual
places for libGL.* and delete the non-nvidia files).  There have been
some good suggestions on this list, though I'm not qualified to judge
whether the description of ATI's approach that has been posted would be
possible for nvidia (I assume it is but hasn't been chosen for some
reason).

The nvidia support forums are pretty active with the linux driver
developer/packager posting very frequently.  Perhaps a qualified &
interested party could broker a pow-wow between the right people from
Redhat (Mike), Debian, SuSE, et. al. and the nvidia guy to agree a way
forward?