Network card problem

Sean Ryle defragfs at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 18 16:38:50 UTC 2003

I had an email all typed up and ready to send, but then I read further down
(I get the list in digest mode since I use this crappy hotmail.com account).
First and foremost, check your NIC card to see if the link light on the card
is on when you connect it to your network.  In situations like this, the
best thing to do is rule out a hardware failure right up front.

Now, if your NIC is working...

It looks like there are two situations, (1) you get nothing from the dhcp
server and (2) when you manually configure your ethernet settings, you still
get no Internet access.

In the case of (1), check to make sure your DHCP server is running.
Possibly ping it from another computer on your network that is working (if
you have one).  If not, you should be able to call your ISP to see if they
are getting DHCPREQUESTs from your system (need to provide them your HW
addr: 00:60:08:CE:ED:A0).  If they are getting no requests, that would at
least explain why you aren't getting anything from the DHCP server.  If not,
it is back to the drawing board.

In the case of (2), You provided most of the information I was looking for
except one thing.  I think you may be experiencing a routing problem.  Can
you send the output of a 'netstat -rn' command (no quotes)?

As a side note, what type of network card do you actually have?  You said
that a "3c900 10BaseT[Boomerang]" was detected and has worked elsewhere
which implies that you have a different card.  I wonder if there is a more
suitable driver for your card available.