AMD Athlon64 Systems

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sat Oct 18 21:28:27 UTC 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> If anyone has information to the contrary however, I'm definitely
> open eared and eyed to have a look at their non-hypothetical test
> results.  ;o)

The point is though exactly that with AMD64 this argument is
hypothetical. The other posters are not talking about IA32 vs x86-64,
they're talking about x86-64 versus a hypothetical ILP32 ABI for
x86-64. All (i can think of at least) the other 64bit processors
support ILP32 ABIs, and apps do run faster because it. (MIPS even has
a 32bit ABI with 64bit doubles, MIPS n32 possibly).

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
		-- Weisert