AMD Athlon64 Systems

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Oct 19 19:21:43 UTC 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Robert L Cochran wrote:

>I have a new question: would it be worthwhile investing in the
>Athlon64 from a programming perspective? E.g. write 64 bit
>programs while the rest of the world is still living on 32 bits?

Hmmm...  What exactly is a 64bit program?  I've never written
one.  ;o)

Seriously...  One writes "computer software" - it's neither 32bit
nor 64bit, not if it's done correctly.  Recompile your
application on a 32bit CPU, and it's a 32bit application, compile
it on a 64bit CPU and it's a 64bit application.  If you've coded
it properly and not made 32bit tunnel vision assumptions in your
code, it should run without source modifications on 64bit
systems.

That said, beware of making assumptions about the sizes of the
standard C types in code, and things go rather smoothly.  ;o)