Boot time

Ryan Nix rnix at prometheon.net
Mon Oct 20 04:13:33 UTC 2003

Hello all!

I'm a novice who still hasn't even compiled his first kernel, but has RH
considered speeding up the boot-time?  I saw this article on Slashdot
and thought it looked pretty damn compelling.  A quick bootup time would
be a compelling feature (that and most of the other features that
Windows Longhorn won't have until 2006!)  I remember watching Triumph of
the Nerds on PBS and Steve Jobs put it this way:  "Getting the OS  to
boot 10 seconds faster was like saving 50 lives if you have millions of
users!"

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html

Ryan