Reboots

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Mon Oct 20 07:13:31 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 09:33:40PM -0400, James Drabb wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 17:25, Ola Thoresen wrote:

<snip>

> Are you running Red Hat?  What version?  We have a bunch of Red Hat AS
> 2.1 servers and they never go down.  Do you have a competent admin for
> your Linux servers?  You shouldn't be having these kinds of problems at
> all.  You could have a few cron jobs that run at say 2:00 AM that stop
> nfs and apache and use killall -9 to make sure that the processes are
> dead and then start them back up.  This may help from having issues ever
> show up.  However, I think you should still look at how the servers are
> setup since you should not be having these types of problems in the
> first place, at least in my experience.

Ok.

Would it make you more happy if i rephrased to something like «From time to
time there are serious bugs in the kernel which requires immediate upgrades,
or we might experience kernel oopses that might keep the system running, but
will disable certain hardware, such as raid controllers...»

The point is that thare _are_ situations where a reboot is the only solution,
and there are situations where a reboot might be the simplest and quickest
solution - even with Linux.
And in these situations, we do experience from time to time that the system
will not shut down properly, but hang around in the shutdown process "forever"
(or until someone comes hands on to press "reset").
Yes, I know there are hardware available that will make it possible to
powerswitch the systems remotely, but this might not allways be a feasible
solution.

That is why I hope the discussion about shutdown time also will lead to a
shutdown process that is really shutting down - or rebooting - the system,
every time, in every situation - no matter what some process might be waiting
for.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen

--