lilo vs grub

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Oct 20 11:23:59 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 04:33, Mark Mielke wrote:

> > If it is a better choice for the eyes free mode for users. It makes even
> > more sense to start including it again.
>
> Why is it a better choice? Why does it make even more sense to start
> including again?

I use grub, but I can think of at least 3 things to be said for LILO.

1. The documentation is infinitely better.

2. tomsrtbt has LILO on it but not grub
(unless there has been a change in the newest version).

3. I believe LILO can be configured to boot up a different kernel just once.
As far as I know there is no way to do this with grub.

Also, are you quite sure there are no hardware combinations
that the latest LILO can deal with but not the latest grub?

Personally the decision does not affect me as I never use LILO,
but I find the attitude of dispensing with LILO
because someone has decreed that grub is better
slightly frightening.
(I'm just thinking I can't get ALSA to work on that ancient sound-card.)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366