hardware or software problem? (fct3)

Don dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 20 17:31:40 UTC 2003

Paul,

Thanks for the information... after you confirmed that master/slave
configuration SHOULDN'T matter, and I continued to have problems, I decided
to check out a few things... And bugzilla people are suggesting I have
hardware (disk) problems, I decided to do a few things...

1 - I bought a brand new hard drive (WDC 120Gig)

2 - a new BIOS upgrade was available.... (though I didn't see anything in
the release notes that seemed relevant)

3 - I found the manual for the PC and read the section of "Adding an
additional hard disk".... blah blah blah "... the new hard disk MUST be
configured as MASTER, requiring the CD-ROM to be change to slave, and
reconnected to the "slave" connector on the ATA100 80 pin connector."

In hind sight, I should have done option 3 first.... that was free. (On the
other hand, the only reason I found it was because I came across it while
looking for option 2, and the only reason I was looking for a new BIOS was
because I was still having problems with a brand new drive.

Anyway.... after a day of removing the CD-ROM drive, changing the
connections, reinstalling various flavors of Redhat 9.0, Fedora Core Test 2,
Fedora Core Test 3 I managed to get slightly further....

But the install fails miserably with no warning/error messages during the
process. However, after the fact, on firstboot, the system does not show the
graphical boot up process..... and then hangs after the message about "swap
space....[OK]"

On another train of thought, I've seen a lot of discussion here about NVIDIA
this machine has an nvidia card with 64Meg... maybe that's why I'm having
problems.

Though oddly enough, the install itself manages to use it OK... hmmm, maybe
that's a VGA setting and I'm trying to use 1024x768.. maybe I should just
try a plain VGA setting and then change it after the fact.

Don