(no subject)

Scott Baker bakers at web-ster.com
Mon Oct 20 21:20:15 UTC 2003

I didn't even think to change that, I figured it was too simple.  As soon
as I did that the machine boots fine with 2.6.0-test8.  Woohoo!

However, that doesn't explain why I can't make an initrd file, which I'd
like to know just for my own edumacation.  Here are the steps I took.

#1) Download source from kernel.org
#2) Uncompress
#3) make menuconfig
#4) save config
#5) make modules && make modules install
#6) make bzImage
#7) copy resulting bzImage to /boot
#8) Edit grub.conf and reboot

At that point I got the error below and attempted to make an initrd file
and I was getting those errors about a missing dep file.  I have
<http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/mkinitrd-3.5.7-2.i386.rpm>mkinitrd-3.5.7-2
installed which should be plenty current.  Why is it complaining about a
missing dep file?

Scott

 > Scott Baker wrote:
 > > I downloaded the source for Kernel 2.6.0 test8 and I'm able to compile
and
 > > get a kernel out of the deal but when I reboot I get a "cannot open root
 > > device label=/"
 >
 > Did you download kernel-2.6.0-test8 from kernel.org or do you use
 > (Source-)RPMs from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/ ?

you can't boot via label in the /etc/fstab file if you don't
have an initrd file.  simple as that.

rday

Scott Baker - Webster Internet
Network Engineer - RHCE