lilo vs grub

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Mon Oct 20 22:52:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:49:49PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > I find lilo to be dangerous - if you don't run lilo after moving the kernel
> > image, or installation a new kernel image, you are dead. Grub gives you
> > several different options to work from.
> Ahem, you're supposed to have that back up disk? Right? Just as you said
> "have a backup grub partition?" Let's at least be consistent!

No. You just edit your entry and execute it. No backup disk required.

Have you used grub for anything complicated, or are you just guessing?

> > If you have a problem with how it works 'eyes free', your efforts would be
> > better spent making suggestions to the grub developers, or even better,
> > providing source code patches for them to work from.
> Meanwhile we're supposed to suffer? I think not.

The only argument in favour of lilo that I am forced to recognize, is
the claim that grub does not yet work on all hardware. I was not aware
of this.  This argument, assuming that it is easy to prove, may be
enough to convince the people that made the decision to
deprecate/obsolete lilo from Fedora Core.

The argument about having to install grub on multiple partitions with
RAID-1 is just silly. You only need to do it once every time you
upgrade grub. With lilo, you have to do it every single time you
upgrade your kernel, and every time you upgrade lilo. "Suffer" is an
exaggeration in the context of this argument.

Your other arguments, I suspect are due to incomplete knowledge of grub,
of which at least some of the blame could be put on the difficult to
read/understand info pages that grub comes with.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________