vote for Lilo

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 02:25:20 UTC 2003

Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 14:25, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>
>>Jack Bowling wrote:

>>>If Fecora eventually works as planned, I imagine it could always appear
>>>as a contrib package.
>>
>>Which is useless if you cannot boot with grub. The installer needs to
>>install grub or you'll never beable to install contrib packages.
>>
>>FWIW, I have such a system.
>

> The reasonable thing to do here is to fix Grub. If we just include Lilo
> support, how would we present it to the user?
>
>  [x] GRUB works on my system
>
> This is not a sensible choice to present to the user.
>
> Regards,
> 						Owen

I think that both programs should continue to be improved. Who is to say
that grub won't be replaced by "yet another boot loader" in the near future.

Trying to cut down the 1400 pieces to 700 might be alright from a
limited resources standpoint. Having an alternative program is a nice
thing to have. Just in case things go wrong with an important aspect to
keep things up and running, with good tools.

Jim

There is something in the pang of change
More than the heart can bear,
Unhappiness remembering happiness.
		-- Euripides