gconf problems.

Tue Oct 21 04:27:53 UTC 2003

I don't think this is redhat specific, but it is very annoying (I have
had it happen on debian too).  I don't know if it's a gconf bug, or
maybe a gnome-session bug.

Whenever I boot the computer and log in [to gnome], everything works
fine.  Some times I log out, and then back in, and I get a "Gconfd could
not be started.. settings may not work blah blah..".  then it pops up a
dialog for each and every gnome-panel applet, asking if I want to delete
them since they can't be loaded.

If I log out and back in.. it still does it.

If I reboot - it fixes it.  Same symptoms in FC and Debian, so I am
fairly sure it isn't redhat specific code causing the problem, but I
don't know how Gconf works well enough to know what IS causing the
problem.

(I log in and out a lot to switch languages, since Gnome unfortunately
makes it very difficult to log in in one language and use an IME from
another language.. something that is trivial in windows and Mac ;<.
This logging in and out is probably what aggravates the problem to be
more easily found.).

I am primarily curious if anyone else has found this or has any idea
what module it is really in.  (I would like to file a bug report in
gnome...)

--
Thanks,
    Noah Silva