vote for Lilo

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 21 05:18:09 UTC 2003

From: "Mark Mielke" <mark at mark.mielke.cc>

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:02:33PM -0400, Mark Hoover wrote:
> > From: Felipe Alfaro Solana <felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org>
> > >What features are you missing from LILO that you can't have with GRUB?
> > >I have used both LILO and GRUB and I think GRUB is far more powerful
> > >than LILO. If I screw up my system, I can reconfigure nearly anything
> > >from withing GRUB itself. However, on LILO, you are required to re-run
> > >LILO every time you change kernels, for example.
> > Personally, I really liked that "feature".  It kept me from doing many a
> > stupid thing and rebooting the box only to find that the box didn't come
> > back up due to an error that lilo caught and gave me the opportunity to
> > fix before rebooting.  Really nice when you're admining a server across
> > town or even in another state.
> > As of yet I haven't seen anything in the docs like this with grub.
> > Granted, I haven't spent a real long time looking for it either.
>
> LILO doesn't guarantee that a boot will work. It only guarantees that
> the config file references valid image files. Perhaps you are simply
> more meticulous about what you type (in which case, I'm not sure why
> you are worried about the contents of the config file), but if you have
> ever forgotten to run LILO after replacing the kernel image, you are
> screwed. If the machine goes down before you run LILO, you are screwed.
> It never happens?

No problem at all. The new kernel may not be found. But the preceeding
two that worked are still there and themselves still work. He who keeps
the same name for a freshly compiled kernel with different options and
then installs over a working kernel is somewhere south of foolish and
one wonders if he's even north of stupid.

{^_-}