USB mouse problems

Bruno De Wolf bruno.dewolf at eozen.com
Tue Oct 21 05:48:28 UTC 2003

[since my first mail didn't seem to arrive, here's another try]

Dear,

I am installing Fedora test3 release on my Packard Bell P4, 256Mb.
I am not a hardware expert, so I appreciate some explanation on these
points.

I had to do the install with pci=off and now I am having troubles booting:
- If I boot with pci=off, the system boots, but my usb mouse is not
functioning: 'insmod usb-uhci' said 'no device found'. This seems
logical to me, since I saw something such as 'PCI USB bridge' in
hardware probing logs.
- If I boot normally, the boot process hangs somewhere at sound card
detection and configuration. If I comment this out in rc.sysinit, it
hangs at the 'devlabel' section. If I comment this out as well, it hangs
at several other points. BTW: hanging=no disk activity, no user input
possible, boot process does not advance anymore. I have the impression
(although not very sure) that the system mounts a usb mass storage
device which isn't there, thus currupting the directory layout.

Something I find very strange: my USB keyboard works fine, even with
pci=off, only my usb mouse does not function.

I already changed the following things without effect:
- remove kudzu from the boot process
- run kudzu when I had booted with pci=off

Thank you for your feedback

Bruno De Wolf