Speakup in kernel

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 14:36:37 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 06:15:35PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:
> So, why bring it up to FC? Because Speakup was already there in RH
> 8.0--and then was summarily pulled, even though the I18N issue which
> triggered the retraction was resolved. I may add it was resolved before
> Speakup became modular. There is a fairly extensive user base, small
> compared to the whole, but not as compared to users of eyes-free.

There were multiple reasons that it was pulled, including security.
Until it is upstream, I'd call its inclusion an unfortunately failed
experiment.  :-(

Again, one of the goals of FC is to focus very strongly on moving to
changes being made upstream.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/