Boot Loader Proposal

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Oct 21 17:42:55 UTC 2003

On Tuesday October 21, 2003 Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
>[snip]
> Here is what I propose:
>
> Grub and Syslinux remain in Core.  They will cover the mass majority of
> the userbase, with minimal duplication.  Lilo shall be relegated to
> Alternatives or Extras.  Lilo seems to have a smaller need base, but
> still needs to be available.  This should satisfy the majority of the
> people on this list right?

Jesse,

I don't disagree. But I wonder if we aren't discussing soon-to-be-obsolete
packages. With 64-bit machines now on the market and rumors of next
generation BIOSes with OS-like capabilities in their own right, we could
be better off sitting back and waiting to see what new stuff comes down
the road in the next year or two.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL