vote for Lilo

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 21 21:00:03 UTC 2003

Since everyone else seems to have weighed in on this, I'd vote for lilo
being included somewhere.  The reason isn't that I like lilo, I really,
really don't.  The reason is I want it is I HAVE to use lilo thanks to
my...how to be nice...quirky box.

When I upgraded my box to Fedora 0.95 (clean install, mind you), I and a
more knowledgeable co-worker spent, oh, 10-12 reboots with CD #1's
"linux rescue" trying to get grub to boot.  I did a setup (hd0), setup
(hd1) and all sub (hd?,?).  We tried various tricks from various web
pages that purported to work.  In the end, due to the rather craptacular
BIOS on this box, there is essentially no way for us to get grub to work
(and, say, boot off a floppy or CD in an emergency...it's that bad).
Lilo on the other hand just seems to work.  Thankfully the RH 9 lilo
plays nicely with Fedora.

Now, if only my kernel, et al, weren't bigger than 1.44 MB, life would
be good.  Kinda sad having a 650 MB CD-RW as a bootdisk.  Cool...but
sort of a waste.

Just my two cents as to why lilo might be good to have as an extra or
the like.
--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!  Please.
 Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/