Speakup in kernel

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 21:46:13 UTC 2003

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> Oh, it's clear RH has no intention. What is now also clear is that the
> reasoning is highly suspect. In fact, prejudicial against persons with
> disabilities. Not hard to make that case from this thread.

That's not fair, Janina -- we care a lot about making Linux accessible.
I was disappointed too to see speakup not make Fedora Core, but I've
seen the kernel team on this list consistently complain about the
implementation of that patch.  I don't feel particularly qualified to
tell the kernel guys here what is and isn't good code, and have to defer
to them.

They are right on one aspect though -- this patch really needs to make
it upstream.  We would never accept the current GNOME Accessibility
framework as a patch.  Like most similarly-sized endeavors, it took a
long time to get it fully integrated in GNOME, but it was definitely
worth the effort as every distribution shipping GNOME gets imporved
Accessibility support "for free."

-Jonathan