lilo vs grub

Mark Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Tue Oct 21 23:18:36 UTC 2003

From: Jef Spaleta <jspaleta at princeton.edu>

 >> But how can we claim to be in favor of software choice when at the=20
 >> basic level of the bootloader we can't even let there be a choice for
 >> those who don't want to use one or the other.
 >
 >Last call for the reductio ad absurdium express...all aboard....
 >
 >let's see...basic level things we NEED choice for..well lets see
 >there is the kernel...we totally so need the ability to choose between
 >5 or 6 different kernel builds in the default installer. I'd love a big
 >old monolithic kernel..all that module junk just blows monkey chunks.

As many multitudes of people on this list have stated, Lilo is being
maintained and has had a release as recent as this month.  So we're not
talking about including some old ancient piece of software that hasn't
had a release in years......

Does the fact that somebody on this list might actually choose a
different software selection than you scare you?  If we all wanted to be
forced into an install of a given piece of software we could have all
gone with the Microsoft solution.