video card: comments please?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 23:22:34 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, John Wendel wrote:

>> Linux 2.4 doesn't support AGP 8X, max is 4X.
>> IMO ATI _radeon_ is a safe and better inversion.
>
>The Nvidia drives do AGP 8X just fine, at least on my box.

By default Nvidia's proprietary binary only drivers use their own
built in agpgart driver and do not use the Linux kernel's
agpgart.  The Linux kernel 2.4's gart driver is limited to 4x.

Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> maintains the upstream agpgart
nowadays, and might be able to comment further perhaps.