Network Config

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Wed Oct 22 13:12:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 07:33, JDK wrote:
> Thanks.  Can someone tell me what is the Red Hat way to turn on
> ip_forward?  Is there a network options item, or do I just need to add
> something to the firewall script?  Will the kids PC need a static IP,
> or will if get DHCP from the router once I enable the IP forward?

vi /etc/sysctl.conf and change 0 to 1 as shown here:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Then run `sysctl -p`

Your original diagram showed a linux box between the kids and the
router, and your linux will become a router if setup for ip forwarding,
so your kids' computers will need to be on a different subnet than the
rest of your home computers. The easiest approach in that case is to
assign static ip's to your kids' boxes. Your linux box will have your
main router as its default gateway, and you need either a hub (if more
than one pc) or a crossover cable (if only one kid's pc).

It might be easier in your case to set up the linux box as just another
node on your network that happens to run squid, privoxy, and dan's
guardian; then configure the proxy settings on the kids' boxes and
adjust your router firewall to prevent the kids' computer from hitting
the Internet directly. This would avoid subnetting and routing issues
altogether.

Hope this helps!
-paul