lilo vs grub

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Oct 22 16:01:01 UTC 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:41, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>>I've seen many requests for grub to add the LILO feature
>>allowing a one-time boot into a non-default kernel,
>>but nothing has been done.
>

> Incorrect.  This feature is present since Fri Mar 08 2002, according to
> the grub changelog, and was included in RHL 7.3 and later.  Use the
> "--once" flag to the "savedefault" command.  I agree it's not quite as
> convenient as the LILO method, but it most certainly is there and has
> been there for over 18 months.
>
> Please stop posting obviously incorrect comments; this is no better than
> the folks who claim LILO isn't being maintained.
>

>>I've seen many comments about grub documentation
>>but nothing has been done.
>

> There is plenty of documentation for grub in the "info" pages.  Perhaps
> you are not aware of how to use "info"?  I prefer the "pinfo" viewer to
> the standard one myself.
>
> --Jeremy

Hi Jermey,

OK, so I've spent over an hour looking through the "info" pages.  In fact,
I've even zgrep'ed through it, I CANNOT FIND THIS OPTION.

So, if it isn't in the man pages (where most people look) and it isn't in the
info pages, then it doesn't really matter that it's been out for 18 months
does it, because your average joe has no clue that it's there or how to use it.

Personally, I think the grub info pages are great for the grub developers.
They are completely horrible for the end user or even the average system admin.

So, since the info is there, and you surely know how to use info, can you
please send me a cut an paste from the info pages, and please let know what
section of the info pages it is in.

Troy Dawson

Troy Dawson  dawson at fnal.gov  (630)840-6468