.xinitrc and .xession not being read?

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 22 18:12:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 11:21, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 07:35:03AM -0700, Joshua Legbandt wrote:
> > Since I've upgraded to the fedora core 1 test series from Red Hat 9
> > (originally to post severn rawhide) and started logging in through gdm,
> > I've noticed that my .xinitrc and my .xsession (one is a symbolic link
> > to the other) are not getting invoked.
> Yes, it looks like gdm now invokes gnome-session directly, bypassing
> /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients. This also means ~/.Xkbmap doesn't work.
> 	Mirek

Well, if I remember back to my pre-XFce4 days, doesn't GDM read
.gnomerc?  Have you tried using that file?

Now, I don't use GDM, but I'm trying to trace it.  Shouldn't it use
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/GNOME if it runs Gnome?  If so, that exec's
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession with gnome as the arg.  Looking at Xsession, it
looks like .Xresources, .Xmodmap, and .Xkbmap should be read.  If they
aren't read...I guess I don't know how GDM works (big possibility), and
could someone tell me how they are.

Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good