Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Wed Oct 22 19:14:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Exactly.  The 2D drivers are maintained extremely well however,
> and ATI at least makes constant contributions at least once a
> month if not more of numerous patches to improve support.
>
> Don't expect to see 3D support for currently unsupported 3D
> hardware any time soon however, as that's likely to take 8-12
> months once the documentation is available and someone pays to
> fund the development of that support.  And currently the docs are
> not available, and nobody is interested in funding the
> development it seems.
>
> While that may present a problem for Linux/X users who need 3D
> support, there isn't much that we can do about it, other than
> continue to advocate open source, and continue to ask vendors to
> support their hardware with open source support.  Before we see
> vendors supporting 3D in OSS drivers strongly again however, they
> wont turn their heads unless the revenue to be recognized for
> them is in their own eyes "non-trivial".
>
> See my thread entitled "Rant" on devel at xfree86.org about 2-3
> months ago for further details about the business side of things.

I completely understand. I cannot say as I blame either Nvidia or ATI, in
fact, I am quite happy to have access to binary drivers... When you think
about how far 3D under Linux has come in the past 5 years, we are better
off than I thought we would be.  I guess the point I was trying to make,
is that binary only drivers are something we are stuck with, and it is
certainly better than the alternative.  I just think that we as a
developer community sometimes forget this.  No, we cannot do much to
support a binary driver, but we do need to realize they are out there, and
try to coexist as much as possible.  I guess there really is no answer, as
many users have very unrealistic expectations for support levels... Bah...
I give up :)

Justin