Bad Terminal Character Translation with PuTTy

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 22:10:51 UTC 2003

Bryan White said:
> I found a FAQ on the PuTTy site that stated that starting with RedHat 8
> the OS was using UTF-8 and I the user would have to set this in the
> PuTTy configuration.  I tried this.  The 'a with a hat' now turns into a
> square block.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Setting UTF-8 works for me using PuTTY 0.53b.  In the "Translation"
section of PuTTY I have:

Received data assumed to be in which character set: UTF-8
Adjust how PuTTY displays line drawing characters: Unicode mode.

IIRC the UTF-8 is the only change from default.  Make sure you make this
after picking a session etc. or else it will get reset with the data from
the session.

--
William Hooper