Make newly installed kernel a default.

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 23 10:41:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:02:44PM +0200, Pavel Rosenboim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I install a new kernel rpm (using rpm -i) it configures
> grub.conf file to load an old kernel as a default. Isn't it better to
> set the new kernel to be a default one?

IMO and experience, no. Just in case there is something wrong with the
new kernel and your box oopses it avoids the possibility that you can't
get to a grub menu and you just loop into the bad kernel on a reboot.
Once you have confirmed that the new kernel works then you can go into
grub.conf and set the new default.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca