supermount or equiv?

Neal D. Becker nbecker at hns.com
Thu Oct 23 11:45:46 UTC 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 07:08 am, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> >MagicDev.  Comes with redhat, turned on by deafult, and mostly works.
>
> Mostly :-)

> >> Instead of mounting on insert, I use mounitng on use.
> >> I use the automounter to do that.
> >
> >Kind of hard to have things like auto-run then.
>
> He did not say he wants auto-run.
> auto-run sux :-)
>
> >> No buggy demon running around(magicdev), wasting RAM and doing
> >> strange things to the hardware. It just works(TM).
> >
> >Well thi sis confusing an idea with implementation.  If it doesn't work,
> >it should be fixed, not trashed.
>
> Ni it isn't. He asked for an implementation of an idea
> and I presented a good(IMHO) implementation.
>
> Why try to fix magicdev, when automount already works ?

2 problems with automount: it's not automatically setup for users during
install, so newbie users ask how to set it up, and you tell them to edit some
config files.  Blank stares.

Next problem is, it unmounts when it feels like it.  I don't think there is
any simple way to unmount and eject, is that not true?