Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 06:14:58 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Peter Boy wrote:

>> Thanks! I do have dual input and would like to use the DVI. Any suggestion with
>> regard to the card memory? 128Mb or should I go all the way upto 256?
>
>Unless your are a windows gamer 64 mb should be enough for a Linux box.
>You can watch DVD, do video editing, and the usual stuff. I'm not shure,
>but even Windows games currently don't use 128 mb (but I'm not a game
>expert!).

Many games use 128Mb or more video memory.  Unreal Tournament
2003 has over 1.6Gb of compressed textures, and recommends 128Mb
video memory minimum.  I've seen it run on a 64Mb card, and it
was pretty horrible without lowering most settings down to the
minimums to get it smooth.  Many other current generation games
need 128Mb to run full tilt also, of course one can always
twiddle settings, lower the resolution, disable snazzy 3D
features, etc. too, but that doesn't take full advantage of the
modern immersive 3D environment.

Halflife 2 and Doom 3 will likely need 128Mb minimum to play
reasonably and 256Mb to fly I would bet.  I guess we have to wait
and see about that though.  ;o)