Suggestions for a good graphics card for RH9/Fedora?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 07:53:52 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Peter Boy wrote:

>> Those are window manager issues and are unrelated to what video
>> driver you're using.  The video driver has no concept of what a
>> window manager is, edge resistance or anything like that.  That's
>> all window manager stuff.
>
>I had a discussion with Havoc some months ago. He told me that there are
>some bugs in the driver so that the windows manager can't figure out (or
>it's very hard to figure out) how to do edge resistance and all that
>xinerama stuff (esp. Matrox 400/450, slightly better with 550).

First I've heard of it.  Is it in Red Hat or XFree86 bugzilla
anywhere?  Open source drivers don't support dualhead on G400,
only G450 and G550.  Only thing I can think of might be something
related to DPI calculation.  That's a complex problem in
Xineramaland though.  Not knowing the specific problem you're
refering to though I can't really hypothesize what the cause
could be.