Games doesent work in Fedora test 3

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Fri Oct 24 08:05:11 UTC 2003

Quoting "Mike A. Harris" <mharris at redhat.com>:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, nosp wrote:
>
> >> That just shows you're using a method that is inherently
> >> flawed/broken to try to uninstall the package.  I don't recommend
> >> using apt for anything ever.  Use yum, or use rpm directly.
> >
> >Hmm -- I'm not sure that apt is telling me anything that rpm doesn't
> >tell me; actually apt shows me, quicker, how big an effect my desire to
> >remove Mesa will have.  Here's what rpm tells me:
>
> apt is telling you it'll gladly uninstall half your system if you
> like to remove Mesa.  RPM would tell you that there is
> dependancies on Mesa from other applications, then you'd say to
> yourself "yes, but I am uninstalling one libGL.so.1 and
> installing an alternative libGL.so.1, so when I'm done all
> dependancies will still be met", then you'd use --nodeps to
> uninstall Mesa, and then install Nvidia, and everything is happy.

Apt is telling you the same: "this thing has plenty of dependencies and I'd have
to remove all this stuff to satisfy dependencies, are you sure you want to do
this"? Any dependency resolver would do that, if you start using --nodeps then
you're simply out of depsolver territory.

The <vendor-X>-GL.rpm could have obsolete/conflict on the original package and
the depsolver-of-your-choice could then cleanly resolve the situation. Until the
day cowboys come home and packages are sane.. well, use the right tool for the
job: rpm -e --nodeps etc.

--
    - Panu -