Open GL screensaver crashes X

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 14:33:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:

>> Xinerama + DRI isn't implemented.  You can either use Xinerama or
>> use DRI.  Trying to use both at once wont work, not for another
>> couple XFree86 releases at least.
>>
>> I'm told the Matrox driver has a MergedFB option which may or may
>> not work by skipping xinerama and doing merged framebuffer in the
>> video driver itself, however I've never tried it, and I dunno if
>> it's in 4.3.0 or just in CVS head.  I haven't looked at the mga
>> source for quite some time, so buyer beware.  ;o)
>
>But it certainly shouldn't crash the server even if it doesn't work.

Of course.  ;o)

>The interesting questions are:
>
> a) is it all OpenGL screensavers or just some of them
> b) does running OpenGL screensavers manually crash the server
>    (E.g, run /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/sproingies)
> c) any log messages for XFree86 when it crashes? (Look in
>    /var/log/XFree86.0.log)

Here's a few more...

d) Does it do it both with and without DRI enabled in the config
   file (the Load "dri" line)

e) Are you using our official mga driver, or are you using the
   Matrox binary driver and hallib

f) Are you running any 3rd party kernel modules at all, or using
   VMware or other software which is sometimes known to cause
   system instabilities

g) Are there any DRM or AGP errors in /var/log/messages