Help with yum

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Oct 25 13:19:28 UTC 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Ionut Boldizsar wrote:
>
> > Perhaps there will be a frontend for yum, as it is synaptic for apt.
> > Then it will be real easy to manage yum.
> > But the cli syntax is straight-forward for yum as we speak :)
>
> from the perspective of someone who's been using yum only briefly, it's
> simple enough that i think a GUI frontend would be overkill, particularly
> since yum is *meant* to be run on a nightly basis to keep your system up
> to date.
>
> once something's automated like that, there's little value in a GUI.

The problem here is you have a clue. As a result you are looking at this from
the prospective of understanding a command line. The average person migrating
from a windoze environment NEVER wants to see a command line no matter how
simple. If there was a gui for yum the chances of my using it on my own
machines are nil but I can see the value of it for users that want to
install/remove additional packages on their own and have "command-line-phobia".

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl at rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123 at rogueind.com