Slovene language

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 26 16:46:39 UTC 2003

On October 26, 2003 09:50 am, Tadej Janež , <Tadej Janež
<tadejjanez at email.si>> wrote:
> Anyway, since I was only referring to a slovenian translation issue, I
> don't think I mattered whether I was using english or slovene language
> since the intended audience would understand both.

Well said. In the past, I have posted the odd commend in languages other
than English. IMNSHO, the original post and reply was *not* inappropriate,
since it delat with the slovene language and translation.

It's disheartening, to say the least, that in this day of increasing world
co-operation, to see people get their backs up the minute they see a post
in anything other than English.

It also serves to fortify the commonly held belief that Americans are
eternally and incessanely arrogant.

Just this weekend, I did a presentation for one of the local english-language
LUG's (to wit: the McLUG, Mc Gill university's open-source ... and *open*
to non faculty members... group). It was at the first meeting of the AQP3L
http://aqp3l.org/, and I did my presentation in French.

Incidentally the other person with me, representing McLUG is an American
from Plattsburg, NY. He did his part of the presentation in English. One of
the comments I made, was that linux can be a means towards world peace,
since the very fact that many people of varied backgrounds, races, cultures,
religions, and traditions, co-operate in the development and promotion of
GNU/Linux.

Whether Richard Stallman agrees with me, "je m'en fous"....

However, seeing the reaction that the original post got in this forum, simply
got my back up. Go ahead: point your flame-throwers at me full-blast.
The weather's gettin' chilly here in Montreal, and I can ask the landlord
to save some heating oil.

... with apologies to none, save those of goodwill towards all mankind.

Elton Woo.
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.