Ctrl-Alt-Backspace Problem

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 26 17:59:18 UTC 2003

Ben Steeves wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 00:43, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>What about making the start here (windoze key) log one out instead of
>>killing X suddenly?
>

> Because sometimes nothing works *but* to kill X with
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  Logging out via GNOME is the norm, but when the
> system goes south, it's better to be able to kill X than to have to
> reset the computer entirely.

That is what I use *ctl-alt-backspace* for. It was sounding to me that
this is becoming a regular way to logout of X.

I used this feature to get ouyt of a lot of earlier misbehaving
problems. I don't need to use it too often now. (Can't remember X
lockups recently.)

> Sure, I could ssh in from a different box and kill X, but that's a bit
> of a pain if you don't happen to have another box.

It sounds like overkill to ssh in. ctl-alt-backspace away.

I do miss the pulldown menu choice to kill locked up apps though.
Killall -9 <appname> works alright from the terminal though. The
"timebomb" worked a lot quicker though. Where did this feature go?

Jim

--
He who lives without folly is less wise than he believes.