Beep on X11 login screen

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Oct 26 23:44:40 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 11:07:53PM +0200, Lauri Jutila wrote:
[...]
> That's a PC speaker beep (and it's painful). There really should be an
> option to change it on/off. Back in the days GNOME had a entire Control
> Center section devoted to configuring the speaker. You could set nice
> low Hz and short beep which was much more user-friendly. That was a
> sawfish feature, though. I'd love to see it in metacity, too.

The pc speaker can still be controlled though xset, e.g. 'xset b 10'
puts the bell on 10% volume. However, I haven't figured out where to
execute this to lower the volume of the gdm startup beep. Can't do it
from an init script, since X isn't running (and xset modifies settings
in the X server), and the gdm session scripts are too late.
So no workaround here, needs to be set in the gdm source code...

David Jansen