would someone kindly clarify this paragaph, please (RH business model)

Don Russell dnrlinux at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 05:48:45 UTC 2003

That's correct.... there is no requirement that "Open source" equates to "no
charge".

Just as "binary executable only" doesn't mean $ involved.... (freeware,
shareware, post-card-ware etc)

What open source does ensure is that the user of the software has the option
to enhance/fix/modify the software.

Don't think of "free" being the same as "no charge". In this case "free"
means "free to change"... free as in freedom, not as in free beer.

For example, you may download red hat linux for no charge, but yoy get no
support from red hat.... you may purchase the same code and get support.
Both of those are "open source"...