Open GL screensaver crashes X

Johnny Ljunggren johnny at navtek.no
Mon Oct 27 09:10:20 UTC 2003

fre, 24.10.2003 kl. 16.33 skrev Mike A. Harris:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> >> Xinerama + DRI isn't implemented.  You can either use Xinerama or
> >> use DRI.  Trying to use both at once wont work, not for another
> >> couple XFree86 releases at least.
> >>
> >> I'm told the Matrox driver has a MergedFB option which may or may
> >> not work by skipping xinerama and doing merged framebuffer in the
> >> video driver itself, however I've never tried it, and I dunno if
> >> it's in 4.3.0 or just in CVS head.  I haven't looked at the mga
> >> source for quite some time, so buyer beware.  ;o)
> >
> >But it certainly shouldn't crash the server even if it doesn't work.
>
> Of course.  ;o)
>

> >The interesting questions are:
> >
> > a) is it all OpenGL screensavers or just some of them

I haven't tried all, but those i tried crashed X.

> > b) does running OpenGL screensavers manually crash the server
> >    (E.g, run /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/sproingies)

I think I've already answered that one, but no they do not. Only when
run as a real screensaver.

> > c) any log messages for XFree86 when it crashes? (Look in
> >    /var/log/XFree86.0.log)

No, not that I could see. The whole log is here:
www.navtek.no/~johnny/fedora

> d) Does it do it both with and without DRI enabled in the config
>    file (the Load "dri" line)

Yes, tried with and without, same crash

> e) Are you using our official mga driver, or are you using the
>    Matrox binary driver and hallib

Fresh install, ie. official mga driver.

> f) Are you running any 3rd party kernel modules at all, or using
>    VMware or other software which is sometimes known to cause
>    system instabilities

No, not yet. This was a fresh install.

> g) Are there any DRM or AGP errors in /var/log/messages

No, only these lines of any interest, and I don't think they're directly
related.

cash modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
cash modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0
cash gdm(pam_unix)[19179]: session closed for user johnny
cash gdm[19179]: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X feil - Starter
:0     på nytt
cash gdm(pam_unix)[19452]: session opened for user johnny by (uid=0)
cash modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1
cash modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0 O

--
Johnny Ljunggren