HD 40 GB but 31 GB instead.

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Mon Oct 27 17:52:17 UTC 2003

cantisan wrote :

> I installed a HD 40 GB Seagate, I used fdisk to create
> one partition with 40 GB, after that I use mkfs to
> format the partition, both without any problem. But
> instead of 40 GB I only have 31 GB, I tryied again and
> the problem persist, anyone can help me ?

The first problem is that "40GB drives" are usually "40x1000x1000B drives"
instead, so you'll never get 40GB anyway. The second problem is that you
probably have the default 5% of disk space reserved for the root user after
formatting the partition. Try this :

"tune2fs -m 0 /dev/hdXn" (where "0" is the percentage and hdXn is your
partition)

And you'll get plenty of space back.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 0.95 (Severn) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 1.77 1.32 1.14