VNC + local X session causes problem with GNOME panel applets

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 19:21:39 UTC 2003

Mark Mielke said:
> Can anybody else reproduce this?
>
> If I create a VNC session that is running GNOME, and then login to a local
> X session, the GNOME panel applets all (or most) refuse to come up in the
> local X session (and vice versa, if started in reverse).
>
> This is a common scenario for me: Have a permanent Xvnc session
> running to access my work machine from home. When at work, login
> locally. I don't want/need to share the same desktop session. I only
> need for both sessions to operate independently, and not collide with
> other for resources (CORBA problems?).
>
> Any suggestions?

When the issue is happening in the VNC session, are any errors logged in
the VNC log?  I know Gnome used to have issues running two sessions as one
user (to the point of not starting, IIRC).  I'm not sure of the current
state of affairs.

> I've almost gone so far as to create a second user with a different HOME
> directory, just to start the VNC session from... (ugly, and impractical
> for
> numerous reasons...)

This is probably the best course of action if you aren't willing to share
the :0 display.

--
William Hooper