VNC + local X session causes problem with GNOME panel applets

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Mon Oct 27 20:08:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:21:39PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> Mark Mielke said:
> > This is a common scenario for me: Have a permanent Xvnc session
> > running to access my work machine from home. When at work, login
> > locally. I don't want/need to share the same desktop session. I only
> > need for both sessions to operate independently, and not collide with
> > other for resources (CORBA problems?).
> When the issue is happening in the VNC session, are any errors logged in
> the VNC log?  I know Gnome used to have issues running two sessions as one
> user (to the point of not starting, IIRC).  I'm not sure of the current
> state of affairs.

The errors are GNOME pop-up dialogs that give me the option of removing the
applet, or letting it continue.

I'm positive it is a GNOME thing, so perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned
VNC in the first place... It just seems to me that many people would find
themselves in this situation (many who use VNC, that is...).

> > I've almost gone so far as to create a second user with a different HOME
> > directory, just to start the VNC session from... (ugly, and impractical
> > for
> > numerous reasons...)
> This is probably the best course of action if you aren't willing to share
> the :0 display.

It's awful... :-(

mark

--