Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 28 19:45:22 UTC 2003

On October 28, 2003 01:15 pm, Mike A. Harris , <"Mike A. Harris"
<mharris at redhat.com>> wrote:
> This is because the Nvidia ugly hack to delete libGL only gets
> part of it.  The i686 TLS libGL is left, and if your system
> autodetects as being i686 compatible and compatible with TLS,
> that library will override anything installed in the general
> location (where Nvidia puts theirs).  As such, you end up using
> Mesa software libGL, and it tells you no DRI driver is available,
> which is correct.
Newbie (and perhaps stupid) question: is there a way to remove the
nVidia GL, so that one can keep the Mesa ones? ... Or am I obliged to
continually remove the latter? As it stands, there two steps necessary
whenever I get rawhide updates:
1) re-run the nVidia installer whenever the kernel is updated
2) remove using --nodeps whenever XFree is updated (since I can't
update without including the Mesa-libGL package...

... or am I asking the impossible / unreasonable?

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.