GPG question:where on the system are my key-pairs?

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 28 21:50:18 UTC 2003

On October 28, 2003 03:55 pm, Nalin Dahyabhai , <Nalin Dahyabhai
<nalin at redhat.com>> wrote:
> The keys you created¹ are stored on your public and secret key rings,
> ~/.gnupg/pubring.gpg and ~/.gnupg/secring.gpg by default.  (As an aside,
> if you haven't already created a revocation certificate² for your key, I
> highly recommend you do so now to avoid problems if you should forget
> the passphrase at some point in the future.)
I haven't, since I have yet to test them, and since I was seeing *two*
public keys returned with "rpm -qa" I kept confusing myself  ... and I kept
doing  "gpg --gen-key"  .. and running the procedure over and over.

[I hang my head in shame]

> The keys which "rpm -qa" lists are keys which have been previously
> imported into the RPM database using "rpm --import", and are not related

Understood.
> (though you may want to use "gpg --export --armor" to export your public
> key to a text file, and then import that key into your RPM database).
Yes. The tutorial does mention this. Though I seem to have succeeded in
creating my public key, I haven't completed the tutorial, so I don't think
I've gotten as far as creating my *private* key.

Thanks,

Elton ;-)

"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.