kernel-2.6 test8

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 16:55:52 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:00:39PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> > ???
> > There's a test9 rpm out now.
> > http://people.redhat.com/~arjanv/2.5/RPMS.kernel/
>
> from a previous posting, i recall someone referring to the RH kernel
> release as being "heavily patched" from the pristine source. while i plan
> on opening up the src.rpm to see what the patches are, can someone
> summarize the *major* RH changes?  just curious.

Since this is in the context of a discussion about the 2.6.0-test
kernels, we should mention that the 2.6.0-test kernels are NOT heavily
patched.  Arjan's current tree has 6 patches.

 o  Non-interactive configuration
    Makes it so our builds FAIL LOUDLY if we have a config file problem.

 o  must-check
    Takes advantage of a very new compiler feature to look for bugs
    where return values are not checked but MUST be

 o  exec-shield
    An attempt at protection from certain types of security vulnerabilities.

 o  vidfail
    Fallback to working video if selection fails, useful in particular
    if you want to try to use framebuffer for an installer

 o  compile
    Fixes for things that don't compile right now, continuously being
    pushed upstream and regenerated to deal with new bugs :-)

 o  module-license
    Add missing module licenses to avoid problems with tainting

The only remotely invasive patch is the exec-shield patch; the rest
are not at all invasive.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/