State of multiple gfx cards support ?

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 18:34:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

>>>What is the status of multiple gfx card support ?
>>>redhat-config-xfree86-0.9.15-1 only detects my radeon 8500LE AGP card, but
>>>not the SiS 6326 PCI card.
>>
>>The config tool now can configure multihead on multihead cards.
>>I don't know if it is working with multiple separate cards
>>however.
>
>[snip]
>
>>Short story is, try it and if it works, great!  If not, you're
>
>It does not work.
>
>Maybe my question was not clear enough. Here an improved version :
>
>Is redhat-config-xfree86 supposed to detect and configure
>multiple gfx cards, or is that outside of its scope ?

I think my above sentence answers that fairly clearly:  "The
config tool now can configure multihead on multihead cards.
I don't know if it is working with multiple separate cards
however."  Meaning, I know Brent implemented multihead
configuration for a single card with multiple heads.  I do not
believe that he implemented multihead configuration with multiple
video cards yet.  There is a huge difference in configuration
between a multihead card, and multiple individual cards, or a
combination of a multihead card plus another card, or multiple
multihead cards.

>>best off reporting multihead bugs like that to XFree86.org
>>bugzilla at http://bugs.xfree86.org as each person's individual
>>multihead configuration tends to be quite unique due to the
>>complexity of variables involved.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>
>Not much :-E)

redhat-config-xfree86 is open source GPL licensed code.  You're
more than welcome to develop additional features/support that you
would like to see in the tool, and submit patches which implement
those features via bugzilla for consideration in future tool
updates if you (or someone else) likes.  We encourage people to
participate in open source processes in this manner, and look
forward to people's suggestions and contributions.

Take care.