will there be a tui user config

Brent Fox bfox at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 20:08:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:30, Vanco, Don wrote:

> 	I know that it's probably a pretty dramatic bit of recoding in most
> cases, but I'd like to see TUI versions for _all_ the redhat-config* stuff
> (shudder - sudden flashback to linuxconf).

It wouldn't be too bad from a coding perspective.  Most of the tools
that I've worked on have a relatively clean line between the backend
that contains all the intelligence and a GUI front end.  The idea was
that we could write other kinds of interfaces in the future without
rewriting the entire tool.  We concentrated on GUIs for the most part
because that's what we felt was needed by the widest audience.  Now that
we have a decent set of GUI tools, maybe we can come back and look at
doing TUIs for some of the tools that don't have them.

I've been working on a TUI for firstboot for Fedora Core 2, so there
will need to be a TUI to create users.  I don't know about creating a
TUI equivalent of all the things that redhat-config-users allows, but
maybe there's a subset that would make sense to do.

Cheers,
   Brent