Nvidia Driver Problems?

David Zakar david at zakar.com
Thu Oct 30 00:58:30 UTC 2003

Has anyone else been having odd nvidia driver problems lately?

Observe:
[erwos at localhost erwos]$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.3

Now, isn't this interesting? I've got the "nvidia" drivers installed,
yet I've got no direct-rendering. The XF86Config file is properly
written, too. I've used the nvidia stuff for years, so I'd be surprised
if I had made a configuration mistake on this.

I have been using yum to keep up to date, too. After the last XF86 and
kernel upgrade, I reinstalled the latest nVidia drivers. No love. All
the symlinks and such seem to be in proper order, too, which is even
odder.

Now, I have a confession to make: I don't know if direct rendering ever
worked. I tried TuxRacer, but, alas, my CPU is too fast, and I thought
it was using 3D acceleration when it wasn't. That'll teach me to use
glxinfo, huh?

So, has anyone else had similar problems? I can provide more information
if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks for all the hard work on Fedora - it's a really excellent
distribution!

--
David Zakar <david at zakar.com>