Wireless

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 07:03:09 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, David Zakar wrote:

>2. ATI has binary drivers for the Radeon 9000 that you may want
>to use. Go to ATI's website and grab 'em.

That's an option of course, but not necessary.  The distribution
supplied driver very much does support and work with resolutions
as high as the hardware supports.  I use 1600x1200, and test with
1920x1440 and 2048x1536 as well.  So changing video drivers isn't
going to likely change anything.

>The maximum resolution problem is tricky to resolve - could be a
>lack of the resolution in the screen block, or bad refresh rate
>settings for your monitor.

Not really tricky at all.  The X server log file will indicate
directly what modes were rejected and why for every known built
in video mode the X server supports.  That information tells you
why a video mode is not available, and is almost always due to
misconfiguration or inability to autodetect hardware properly
such as from using a KVM switch that blocks DDC, or having the
monitor turned off during X server startup, etc.

>From the command prompt, running:

	redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig

... on the machine should result in a working video configuration
with ability to use up to 2048x1536, although I don't remember
what resolutions our config tool presents to users off hand, the
X server and radeon video driver can max out the card's
capabilities.  All of this is assuming a CRT monitor.  DFP panels
may or may not work similarly, don't know as I don't have such
hardware to test with.

Hope this helps.